FAE and the Zorro Test

A starting character in FAE can have up to five starting aspects (one of which has to be the character’s “high concept” and one of which has to be a “trouble”), the usual spread of approaches, a refresh of 3 (how many FATE points the character starts with), and up to three stunts (minor situational aspects that either give a bonus to a specific approach in limited circumstances or allow minor player control of the story once per session).  The really awesome thing about this process is that I don’t have the FAE rulebook handy; I’ve already memorized character creation. 

Perhaps the most important question to ask of any game system is “Can I make Zorro?”  The answer from FATE Accelerated Edition (FAE) is “Yes, you sure can.”

ZORRO

High Concept: "Zorro!  Zorro!  Zorro!"
Trouble: “As Don Diego, I pretend to be afraid…”
Aspect 1: “Out of the night, when the full moon is bright…”
Aspect 2: “This bold renegade/Carves a ‘Z’ with his blade…”
Aspect 3: “The fox, so cunning and free…”

Flashy: +3
Clever: +2
Sneaky: +2
Forceful: +1
Quick: +1
Careful: +0
Refresh: 3

Stunt 1: Because I have the spirited mustang stallion Tornado, I automatically succeed once per session when I need to outrace something on horseback.
Stunt 2: Because I am a world-class duelist, I receive a +2 when I Flashily Attack in a one-on-one swordfight.
Stunt 3: Because I have my mute servant Bernardo, I get a +2 to Overcome when I Sneakily investigate the villains’ plans.

Yeah, I think that works.

Comments

Popular Posts